Jim likes Spooktacular because there's plenty of D&D clones, but only one clone of the original 80s Ghostbusters RPG.
Spooktacular is an updated retroclone of a forgotten gem of 1980s RPG design, letting you play out the hilarious adventures of paranormal investigators who use dodgy science, possibly dangerous bleeding-edge paratechnology, and sheer chutzpah to capture ghosts and make a living. In addition to all the rules you need to play this new take on an elegantly simple hidden classic of RPG design, this book includes:
- Archetypes that give each character a nifty special ability, and optional Weird Archetypes so you can have an esper, witch, or other weirdo join the team.
- A selection of wacky ghost-hunting gear.
- Three sample ghost-hunting companies (Wraithzappers, Ghost Rooter, and Phantom Finders) in various states of funding and legitimacy, as well as simple guidelines for making up your own company.
- Short guides to ghost-hunting in the cities of Albuquerque, London, Orlando, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Washington D.C.
- Sample story ideas and a story generator table.
- A selection of premade ghosts, ranging from the nagging Ancestor to the absurdly dangerous Ghostzilla.